Most LMSs have some type of mechanism built in (Elluminate, Collaborate, etc.). There are also services such as GoToMeeting and WebEx (some offer free versions that have limited functionality).
But there's another option out there!
I found this gem while authoring a book on free resources that work within the framework of any LMS. There are other free services out there, but Twiddla is my favorite.
In the realm of free online meeting spaces and whiteboards, Twiddla is the best in show.
- It works on an iPad (both as a consumer and a creator)
- It looks wonderful when embedded in an iFrame
- The sessions can be password protected to keep out the riff-raff
- The session can be archived
- Images, documents, formulas, shapes, and annotations can all be used
- Text comes in a few different flavors - regular text, word balloons, sticky notes, and boxes
- It supports audio
- Start a Twiddla and copy the URL
- Paste the URL into a link in your LMS - tell the students to go there at 7:00pm
- Go to your iPad and type in the URL into your browser
- Bookmark it! You can use that same link week after week
- At 7:00pm, go to the Twiddla site (you don't need to even visit your LMS!)
- Twiddla away!
I would also recommend reading up on In Private Browsing so that you can test the student perspective (by having two different identities playing on the same canvas).